Friday 30 October 2015

Due Thanks

I think it's important to say 'thank you.' It's probably an 'upbringing' thing and hearty congratulations are no doubt due to my parents but however that feeling came about, now it's sort of ingrained.

For example, if I'm poised by a pedestrian crossing and a driver slows to let me across, I don't think I'd be physically capable of moving my legs without first having offered a grateful wave and a clearly mouthed 'thanks.' Conversely, if I'm the driver and a pedestrian crosses without displaying the same simple courtesy, I get cross. I mean, I know they're within their rights and everything, that the Highway Code is on their side and that crushing them beneath my wheels would be something of an overreaction but nevertheless... I think the world needs a few more expressions of gratitude.

With that in mind, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Amazon reviewer Mary Jane for a very detailed and considered review of The Endless Land. (The sequel to Unreliable Histories.) It contains some lovely comments, many of which I will certainly be repeating to my friends until such time as they ask me to stop.


I particularly enjoyed the description: "an epic adventure which is both a parody of the genre, and an enjoyable recapitulation." That's basically what I was going for.

Likewise: "a very cleverly crafted story, with a conception quite breathtakingly original, and written with a wit and verve that truly astonish." That's very kind, isn't it? I couldn't let something like that pass without saying something.

It really is a very thoughtfully worded review and will rank amongst my favourites. If you fancy a read of it, here's a link. Review: The Endless Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment